Sons of The American Legion
Our Elected Leadership ensures our ability to fully support the mission of the Legionnaires.
SAL Mission & Program
Founded in 1932, the Sons of The American Legion exists to honor the service and sacrifice of Legionnaires.
Are you a son of a Veteran? Would you like to join The American Legion? Check your local American Legion Post where you can find out your eligibility status and apply for membership in the world’s largest Veterans organization. Complete the application and proudly become a SON OF THE LEGION.
Q: I am related to someone who served on active duty during one of the membership eligibility dates. Can I join the Sons of The American Legion?
A: If your relative who served on active duty during one of the membership eligibility dates and is a member of The American Legion, you may join the Sons of The American Legion. Just fill in this application.
However, if the qualifying Veteran is deceased you may join the appropriate organization, even if the qualifying Veteran was not a member of The American Legion when living.
Preamble to the S.A.L. National Constitution
Proud possessors of a priceless heritage, we male descendants of Veterans of the Great Wars, associate ourselves together as “Sons of The American Legion” for the following purposes:
- To uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States of America
- To maintain law and order; to foster and perpetuate a true spirit of Americanism
- To preserve the memories of our former members and the associations of our members and our forefathers in the Great Wars
- To inculcate a sense of individual obligation to the community, state and nation; to combat the autocracy of both the classes and masses
- To make right the master of might
- To promote peace and good will on earth
- To safeguard and transmit to posterity the principles of justice, freedom and democracy
- To consecrate and sanctify our friendship by our devotion to mutual helpfulness
- To adopt in letter and spirit all of the great principles for which The American Legion stands
- To assist in carrying on for God and Country.
Program of the Sons of the American Legion
Although SAL has its own membership, the organization is not a separate entity. Rather, SAL is a program of The American Legion. Many Legionnaires hold dual membership in SAL
2023-2024 Squadron 201 Officers
All male descendants, adopted sons, and stepsons of members of The American Legion, and such male descendants of veterans who died in service during the period of April 6, 1917, through November 11, 1918, or any time from December 7, 1941, to date, who served honorably, as set forth in Article IV, Section 1, of the National Constitution of The American Legion, or who died subsequent to their honorable discharge from such service, shall be eligible for membership in the Sons of The American Legion.
Senior Vice Commander
Adjutant & Executive Board 1st Year
Executive Board 2nd Year